Front page

Property law advice is our specialism;  in particular the law of England and Wales.

The law can be complex and challenging, and it can make people anxious and annoyed.  But there’s much we can do to help, in giving advice on property law, by explaining things in straightforward terms and identifying solutions to problems.

Our approach is friendly, helpful and constructive.  We understand that when people meet legal problems, they want them resolved quickly and economically.

Please use our Initial enquiry page to tell us in a few words about why you’re looking for advice.  We’ll reply without delay to let you know whether we can help.  If so, we’ll agree the best way forward — written advice, a phone call or a meeting.

These are just some of the property issues we can advise on — it’s not an exhaustive list.  Please click on an entry for more detail:

Private rights of way: how are they created, what use do they cover, can they be changed? Who is responsible for them? 

 Public rights of way: how do they arise, what classes of use do they cover?  Who is responsible for them?  Can they be ended or altered?

Boundaries: how are boundaries of land defined?  How can disputes be resolved? 

Adverse possession: what does this mean, can title to land be gained or lost in this way? How does land regstration affect the position? 

Restrictive covenants: is land subject to a covenant which will prevent development? How effective are restrictrive covenants?  How can they be challenged?

 Parking rights: how can someone acquire the right to park on someone else’s land? Does a right of way include a right to park?

 Development and planning: when is planning permission required? When is it granted automatically?  How is planning control enforced?  What are the special rules for listed buildings and conservation areas?

Ransom strips: when is a piece of land a “ransom strip”.  Can a landowner charge a substantial price for a right of way over the land?

Common land: what is common land, what rights do people have over it?

 Trees: how does the law protect trees by controlling felling and lopping. Are landowners liable for damage caused by trees on their land?  What about subsidence caused by trees?

 Village greens: what are they, can new greens be created? Can they be used to stop unwanted development?


P. S. If you are looking for specialised help for residents’ associations in private roads, please see  And for our print publishing website, please see